Friday, August 29, 2014

August 27 - Miles City to Victor, MT

August 27 - Wednesday
Today was the day we were going to stop in Bozeman to visit my niece.  Driving from east to west in Montana is really quite interesting as in the east it is mainly flat farm land.  Most all of the fields were harvested leaving the area a light tan color and with those huge round bales of hay laying here and there.  I tried and tried to get a  pic of them but driving 75 mph makes it quite a challenge.
This was just beautiful driving by
Best I could do with the bales
Farmer cutting his crop 
I do find driving 75 mph is not in my comfort zone but in Montana you do what Montana's do - you drive 75.  The further west we got the more the landscape changed.  At first it was rolling hills and by the time we got to Victor it was huge rock formations and mountains. 
Wonder if this is the coal train track.
The Yellowstone River winds it's way along I-90
 When we passed by Billings I was surprised to see so many refineries. Rats, I was hoping it was only in the eastern part of the state.  Also wondered why there were so many coal cars on the railroad.  I did learn that Montana has 25 per cent of all the coal in the US.  The problem is it is difficult to mine and worse yet transporting it is horrendously expensive.  So not a lot is taken.
Not a pretty site
We did stop in Bozeman to 'try' to see my niece.  We could not connect but hopefully Roxi and Deb will be able to come to MI in October.  They are in the planning stage now.
My pitiful Barn Shot
So even tho we had not planned on arriving until Thursday we arrived a day early.  I had not seen my son Don for eight months and it was so nice to see them well and happy.  Working to much but they are young.  The town of Victor is very small but we did manage to find a restaurant to have our celebration dinner.  We were celebrating seeing them and by the end of the week they may well be celebrating us leaving. 
Mountain range getting close to Victor, MT
Mike C. would be proud of me because I have not washed the car yet.....but that will happen tomorrow I hope. 
Ok the pic of the head on the that semi was Michael Jordan and he was advertising his cologne.  So here's another one:  What actor had a pot-bellied pig called Max?

No comments:

Post a Comment